Now, when gyms are a no-go, home workouts are becoming hyper-relevant. But how to organize them properly? In this post, you’ll find well-tried 15 best at-home workouts for beginners and workout tips from fitness experts. Read on!
Everyone wants to be fit and healthy. But, unfortunately, not all of us can go to a gym. There can be lots of reasons for that:
- The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic,
- A local gym is not convenient or
- Too expensive,
- Busy schedule, or
- Maybe you’re just an independent type.
Whatever your reason is, that only leaves you exercising at home!
Moreover, experts say that people who practice home workouts easily adopt fitness as a lifestyle. On top of that, it doesn’t take too much money and effort to design your own home gym if you learn some of the best home workout ideas and create a home workout plan.
But is it really possible to get a quality home workout without leaving the house? Yes, it’s definitely possible!
Below are the best at-home workouts for beginners so that you can blitz your body from head to toe with the strength-boosting exercises.
And read these articles which will help you set your home gym:
- An Ultimate Guide to Home Gym Equipment (Types & Reviews)
- Best Home Gym in India: Buy All in One Home Gym Machine
- 9 Things to Remember Before You Buy a Home Workout Equipment
The Five Essential Elements Of A Home Workout Routine
There are lots of home workouts for beginners. However, each fitness program must include 5 elements. All of them require just a basic home workout kit, e.g. a yoga mat, dumbbells, kettlebell, and weight bench. They can be easily done at home.
These are the 5 elements of a home workout routine:
- A warm-up
- A home workout cardio (aerobic)
- Strength-building/resistance exercises
- Flexibility moves
- A cool-down exercise
Warm-Up Home Workouts to Avoid Injuries
According to the American College of Sports Medicine, a warm-up is necessary to prepare the body for workouts by increasing blood flow to the muscles and preventing exercise injuries.
1. A warmup can include:
- A slow pace on a fitness cycle,
- An easy outside walk, or
- A walk on your home treadmill.
- 5 minutes long, slow distance workout on an elliptical cross-trainer.
Megan Moran, a physio and running program expert at MedStar NRH Rehabilitation Network, Ballston-Marymount, recommends keeping warm-up short and light, not more than 15 minutes.
Aerobic/Cardio At-Home Workouts for Beginners
Paige Waehner, a certified personal trainer and a book author, stands for cardio workouts since they are accessible, convenient, and effective. Here is a set of home cardio exercises which Paige suggests:
2. Jump rope
It burns about 220 calories in 20 minutes. There are lots of variations so that you can choose a proper style for yourself:
- Jumping on one foot,
- Crossing the feet,
- Alternating feet,
- Double turning the rope,
- Jumping with high knees.
3. Jumping jacks
It burns about 100 calories in 10 minutes. You can choose one of the following variations:
- Step the feet out rather than jump,
- Hold a medicine ball,
- Plyo-jacks (squat then jump in the air),
- Push-up jacks (jump your legs together while doing push-ups).
4. Jog in place
Use the following variations:
- High knees,
- Press the arms overhead,
- Wide knees,
- Butt kicks.
Alternate jogging with other cardio workouts, e.g. marching, step touches, jumping rope. Do each exercise for up to 60 seconds.
5. Squat jumps
Make sure to use the whole foot, not just toes, land as softly as possible. Perform squat jumps for up to 60 seconds.
You might also like:
- Top Budget Treadmills under 20000/15000 in India
- Best Manual Treadmill in India (Treadmill under 10000)
- Stationary Bike vs Treadmill: Which one should You Go for?
- Treadmill vs Road Running: Which is Better?
Strength-Building or Resistance At-Home Workouts for Beginners
The strength-building portion should include home workout bodyweight, e.g. abdominal crunches, push-ups, and squats.
Also, you can exercise with home workout equipment, e.g., dumbbells, kettlebells, resistance bands, or tubing.
Actually, there are tons of workout plans that you can perform at home. You should choose the right one for you, depending on your goals.
For example, if your main goal is weight loss, you should do a circuit training workout.
The most effective of them are:
6. Arm raise (One of the Best Home Workouts for Beginners to Tone Arms)
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, contract the core muscles.
- Locate one end of the band under your right leg and grasp the other end with your right hand.
- Raise your hand slowly to the side until it is at shoulder level.
- Hold for 5 seconds, then lower the arm, repeat 10 times, perform several sets.
- Repeat the arm lift with your arm in front of you.
- You should only use your shoulder to raise the tape and do not lean back to raise your arm.
- Then put the tape under your left leg and hold it with your right hand.
- Elevate your arm across the body in a V-shape until it is parallel to your shoulder.
- Hold this position for 5 seconds, then lower the arm slowly.
- Make 10 reps, and perform 2 sets.
- Perform these 3 exercises with your left hand.
- Lie on your belly and contract the core muscles.
- Lift your body on elbows and toes.
- Bring your butt down to shoulder level.
- Clasp the navel to the spine.
- Hold for 30 seconds – 2 minutes as you progress.
8. Wall slides or short-arc squats
- Stand with the back to the wall with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Put a ball between your knees.
- Tighten your core and pull your abdomen to the spine.
- Keeping your core tense, slowly slide your back against the wall, your knees must be bent at about 60 degrees.
- Hold the bent position for up to 10 seconds and repeat 10 times.
9. Heel step down
- Stand up straight, feet together, take a natural step forward.
- When your heel hits the floor in front of you, don’t let your foot bend downward as you shift your weight forward.
- Place your leg back to its starting position and do the same process on the opposite side.
- Take 10 steps down on each side.
If you trying to lose weight, these articles might interest you:
- How to Lose Weight Naturally in 4 steps (Ayurveda + Science)
- 100 Habits to Help You Lose Weight in Daily Life
- How to Detox Your Body to Lose Weight Naturally
- Are You Following the Right Weight Loss strategies?
Flexibility Moves/Home Workouts for Beginners
Dr Patricia Macnair, Milford Hospital, Surrey says that flexibility moves are anti-inflammatory. They help lubricate the joints and prevent stiffness in soft tissues.
You can increase the flexibility with yoga poses, floor stretches, pilates. To make it easier, find videos for beginners on the Web. In any case, include the following exercises in your routine, they are effective and easy to perform.
10. Shoulder rolls
- Stand up straight with feet shoulder-width apart and arms at your sides.
- Move the shoulders up, back, and down.
- As you start the motions, thumbs must point forward.
- And as soon as you finish each roll, elbows must be slightly bent, and palms must point forward.
- Then reverse the roll so that your shoulders move forward, down, back, and up.
- Make several reps.
11. Lower back mobilizer
- Lay back, legs are almost straight, crossed arms are extended on the floor.
- Exhale and bring both knees to your chest.
- Breathe in, feeling the air expanding your chest.
- Exhale and lower both knees to the right.
- Place shoulders on the ground, move your head to the left side.
- Breath in, raise knees to the chest. Exhale and repeat to the left.
- Arms and shoulders must be down while the lumbopelvic area rotates freely.
12. Chest mobilizer
- Stand straight and outstretch your arms wide, lean your head back, and push your chest forward.
- Breath in deeply.
- Exhale and tilt your head to the chest.
- Grasp your forearm with the opposite hand, as if hugging yourself, and tilt your back forward.
- Make several reps.
13. Neck-&-shoulder release
- Sit up straight, shoulders are relaxed, back and tummy muscles are loosely pulled.
- Slowly tilt your head to your right shoulder, feel the stretch on the side of the neck.
- Press the fingers of the left hand against the floor, extend the stretch, hold for thirty seconds.
- Repeat with the left shoulder.
14. The cat stretch
- Get on your fours, knees below the hips, wrists a bit forward from the shoulders.
- Breathe in slowly, stretch your chest forward and up while the spine sinks.
- Exhale and arch your back upwards, relax your neck.
- Repeat 5 times, inhale and exhale slowly as you move.
Cool-Down Workout to Do at Home
A cooldown must be similar to the warm-up to bring down your heart rate to the resting state. One of the great cool-down exercises is:
15. Upper Body Stretch
- While standing or sitting, interlace your fingers and press the palms against the ceiling.
- Extend your arms up and back as far as possible, keeping your spine straight.
- After that place the right arm in front of your left and turn the palms face each other, extending your hands up and back
- Do it again on the opposite side.
How To Get Started? (Tips for At-Home Workouts for Beginners)
- Whatever type of home workout you perform, experts recommend starting slowly. Increase exercise time and intensity gradually. And do listen to your body!
- While exercising, focus on the muscles you are working on. What do you feel?
- Next, to achieve great results, you must stay motivated all the time. Incorporate fitness motivational quotes and posters in your home gym, make it convenient and attractive for you. It’ll definitely stimulate you!
- Besides, there are various interesting and motivating apps like home workout leap fitness. Lots of home fitness fans find them very useful.
- Home workouts have obvious advantages. However, there are drawbacks too, e.g. a huge amount of distractions like kids, pets, phone, the Internet, and hundreds of other things. All in all, it’s easy to find something that must be done when you are at home.
- A good way to avoid distractions and stay motivated is to workout early in the morning, or when your day starts, if the early-in-the-morning is not your case.
How many exercises Do You Need A Day/Week?
- If you are new to fitness, start from 30 minutes of cardio workout 3 times a week, and 20-30 minutes of strength exercise 3 times a week as well.
- It’s best to choose exercises that involve all major groups of muscles, in your back, abdominals, upper and lower body. Do three sets of up to 15 repetitions of each strength training.
- Aerobic/cardio and strength work can be done in the same session, or you can divide them. But do ensure to warm up and cool down every time you workout.
- A regular workout should last about 45 minutes. In case you don’t have enough time to exercise the proper amount of time, you can increase the intensity of the session. Exercise for 25 minutes instead of 45 but pick a harder home workout program and really push yourself. For instance, it would be a great idea to jogging or running instead of walking. Furthermore, try performing compound exercises, they target several groups of muscle at a time.
- Such a home workout without weights as push-ups work the deltoids, pectorals, biceps, triceps, abdominal, and upper back muscles. Squats involve the gluteus, calves, quadriceps, and hamstrings.
- If you are not sure what type of home workout to choose, you can always watch specialized fitness videos. They offer a wide variety of exercising – kickboxing, belly dancing, pilates, Hatha yoga, and more.
- Choose the one you’ll enjoy, just make sure that it suits your fitness level.
More Tips on Home Workouts for Beginners
1. Schedule your home workouts
And do stay stick to your plan. Write out your sessions for one month in advance. If something comes up and you have to change your plans, reschedule it immediately.
Take this seriously, otherwise, you can lose motivation and give up your home workouts.
2. Set goals
Mini goals help much. For example, losing 30 pounds or training for a race. Decide on mini rewards for yourself if you achieve your big or small goals.
It can be anything from a new fitness magazine to a new pair of workout shoes for men you’ve been eyeing. This simple trick will help you stay motivated.
3. Avoid boredom
Constantly challenge yourself! Hang up posters with your fitness guru, browse fitness magazines, surf the Internet to look for new exercises, and ensure you’re working out correctly.
Constantly keep learning something new. This way you’ll make fitness a part of your life.
4. Keep a healthy diet
If you’re too busy and can’t cook a lot during the week, try to use your weekends wisely.
Cook large batches of healthy food that you will portion up to cover several midweek dinners. This way, you’ll avoid meal deals and takeaways.
- Salad Diet: A Complete Guide to Salad Eating & Its Benefits
- Best Plant-Based Protein Food for A Plant-Based Diet
- Benefits of Protein: Why You Must Include It Into Your Diet
- Warm Pasta Salad Recipe: Healthy Snack for Chilly & Rainy Days
- You will Give Up on Fast Foods after Reading This!
5. Check WtHR
Your arms and legs can be skinny, however, you may have a potbelly. That’s because of so-called visceral fat. It’s the type of fat that builds up around organs.
According to research, visceral fat is linked with several cancers, heart diseases, and type 2 diabetes. It’s a good idea for everybody to check the waist-to-height ratio (WtHR) to see if he/she is at risk.
Take a string and measure your height, then halve it. If your waist is bigger, you really need to exercise. The good news is, visceral fat will disappear first when you start your sweat sessions.
Final Words: At-Home Workouts for Beginners
We are currently living during challenging times and keeping a fitness routine becomes more important than ever. Regular exercising boosts the immune system, thus, helps to stay healthy.
Besides, the mental side of having a routine is crucial under today’s circumstances. When a normal activity is reduced, you still must keep the body mobile, especially if you have a sedentary job.
Therefore, you should make home workouts an essential part of your life the same as eating and sleeping. You’ll be able to achieve significant results if you think of it as your lifestyle changes.
Don’t think that workout is something that you’ll only do for a certain period of time. We do hope that our post will help you to integrate home workouts into your daily life and you’ll enjoy the process a lot.
Have good tips on home exercising? Please, share them with us in the comment section! We appreciate your experience!
More articles on Fitness:
Kevin has been writing content for about 3 years. He really wants to share his experiences and advice with anyone who cares about health and fitness. He enjoys helping people achieve their fitness goals with simple instructions and overcoming any obstacles on the way.