Last updated on May 3rd, 2021
Looking for the “best air purifiers in India 2021”? You have taken the right decision. According to a WHO study, indoor air pollution in India is more harmful than the pollution you see outside. Yes, it could be up to 10 times worse than outdoor air pollution. Therefore, buying the best air purifier in India for home should be on your list of ‘essential home appliances and health care devices’ in 2021.
Because currently, when we’re going through this pandemic situation, clean indoor air is more important than ever. People are staying indoors more avoiding the infection in India and the world.
Therefore if you can buy the best air purifier in India for home, it can deal with all the harmful pollutants like dust, smoke, allergies, and viruses. There is also a category of fine and ultrafine particles which are invisible to your eyes but prevents you from enjoying fresh & healthy air.
These invisible impurities have a very harmful effect on your health and can be removed only with the help of an air purifier.
But, what is an air purifier and which is the best air purifier in India for home in 2021? How would you rate them? Are all of them capable of fighting pollutants harmlessly?
What is an Air Purifier?
An air purifier/air cleaner is a device (a health care device) that is designed to improve air quality. It cleans the air by removing contaminants from the air.
People with allergic symptoms and asthmatic sufferers must have an air purifier at home. As these devices are very beneficial for health.
Also, the people living in industrial area or polluted cities like Delhi, Mumbai Kanpur, Faridabad, Patna, Gaya, Varanasi, Lucknow, Agra, Gurgaon, Muzaffarpur, Jaipur, Patiala, Jodhpur, Ahhemdabad must buy an air cleaner/air purifier.
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier in India 2021 (Top 3 Favourites)
All the air purifiers are not created equal. So, it’s not a good idea to buy any random air purifier from the market and expect it to give the desired results.
You may regret your buying decision later if you don’t have certain knowledge about some important factors and features like filter type, certification, noise level, ozone free technologies.
In this article, I have listed the best air purifiers in India that are available to buy online in 2021. There is an easy and detailed review of each air purifier. The reviews are based on our deep research and hours of the survey.
There is also a buying guide for air purifier along with an explanation of related terms that will help you choose the best air purifier in India for home.
Note: This is a long guide written to help you make the best buying decision. But if you don’t have time to read the whole article, choose one of these 3 best air purifiers available in India to buy for home:
Top 3 Favourites- Best Air Purifiers (May 2021)
One other our favourite air purifier is- , which we included in our list of best affordable air purifiers under 10000.
And, one more thing, if you want to purchase an air purifier that is from an Indian brand and ‘made in India‘, go for:
– It’s from the popular Indian brand Kent which is an established and the most popular water purifier brand in India. Buy Kent Aura if you don’t have a big budget and want to buy air purifier from an Indian brand.
Best Air Purifier in India 2021 (Brands & Price List)
Buying Guide- How to Buy the Best Air Purifier in India 2021
There are many things you need to take care of while buying an air purifier. In this section, you will learn how to choose the best air purifier in India for home.
However, a few factors need to be explained in more detail so I will lay more emphasis on them in the next sections.
For example, ‘types of pollutants’ has been explained separately later in this article.
You just keep reading for now.
1. Types of pollutants/ impurities you wish to get rid of
There are various types and sizes of impurities you encounter indoors.
First, have a look at:
1.1. Types of impurities/pollutants found in the air of your home
- Bacteria & viruses
- Plant spores and fungi
- Pet dander and hair
- Mold spores
- Tobacco and wood smoke, and its smell
- Household odours from cooking, pets and chemical cleaners
- Toxic gases from pesticides, and aerosol sprays.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) found in paint, varnishes, cleaning supplies, new carpet and building materials
These particles of impurities exist in various sizes that are categorized in a range lying between 0.04 microns to 100 microns.
This is the reason an air purifier is equipped with 2 or 3 filters usually. Different filters are used for different purposes which we discuss later in the article.
You need to know just one thing, an air purifier with the HEPA filter is the best air purifier for your home to get rid of such airborne impurities.
1.2. Coming to the sizes of impurities
There are generally two measurements:
- PM10 and
through which the diameters of impurities are calculated and their sizes are defined.
If a pollutant is as small as 2.5 micrometres or less than it, that particular particle is said to be the PM2.5 type of pollutant or less.
Same goes with PM10. Here the diameter of the pollutant is of size 10 diameter or less. Just as PM2.5, PM 10 are also hazardous to our health but they are comparatively bigger sized particles.
And, PM refers to particulate matter.
As I told you above, the diameter is calculated in micrometres. And a micron is around 1/25000 of an inch.
I show you the graphic from the EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency) for a rough guess.
As you can see in the pic, the size of PM2.5 objects is so small that a human hair looks like a trunk of a big fat tree!
In a rough estimate, PM2.5 equals to around 3% of the thickness of a human hair. These objects are not visible to the naked eye. But they are present everywhere around us, in our house, room, and in the whole atmosphere. And sadly, we are inhaling them regularly.
They enter your body through inhaling and can cause serious harm to your lungs and your entire system.
Meaning to say, we have such invisible enemies around us that can cause serious damage to our health anytime!
2. Types of filters in an air purifier
There are mainly 5 types of filters installed in modern air purifiers. But you need to know, not all of them are safe to use.
Some air purifiers use filters that emit Ozone & other harmful gases that are hazardous to health.
But as I told you in the above section, an air purifier with the HEPA filter is the best air purifier you should buy for home & office. A true HEPA filter mainly removes harmful pollutants of all sizes like PM 2.5, PM 10 or even as small as 0.3 microns.
Now there are also other sorts of impurities and invisible pollutants like smell, formaldehyde, bacteria, viruses and other chemical compounds that need different filters to get removed.
That’s why air purifier brands use other filters like a carbon filter, ionizer to perfectly clean your air. There is also a pre-filter attached in air purifiers to provide first resistance to pollutants, i.e to trap larger particles.
To buy the best air purifier in India for home and to know more, head over to the section ‘type of filters’ covered at the end of this article.
3. CADR and ACH ratings
3.1. CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate)
CADR is a scale of measuring the performance of an air purifier. It’s a measure that tells how well a purifier is working. The quality of an air purifier is measured in terms of how quickly it cleans the air of the room or a particular space.
CADR is that rate that defines how quickly and efficiently an air purifier is cleaning the room. In simple language, it’s the maximum amount of clean air offered by an air purifier in a certain period.
In other words, it can be denoted as how effectively the purifier can eliminate the allergens, pollutants, chemicals, and microorganisms in a room.
Its unit is cubic meters per hour. If a particular air purifier has CADR of 300 m3/h, it denotes the purifier can purifier 300 cubic meter of air in one hour. It can also be measured in minutes, I.e. cubic meter/minute.
There are also different CADR nos. for different pollutants in different air purifiers. And remember, the higher the CADR, the better is the performance of the air purifier!
In case, if both the purifiers have the same CADR-rating, it simply means the purifying performance of both air purifiers will be the same.
Therefore CADR is the second most important factor to determine while buying the best air purifier in India.
3.2. ACH (Air Changes Per Hour)
The ACH rating stands for the rate at which an air purifier can exchange the polluted air in an hour. It defines how frequently the air purifier recycles its round of cleaning pollutants and impurities in an hour.
And this rating is directly linked to the room area an air purifier can handle!
For example, if you have a 25’ X 25’ room and an air purifier with ACH rating of 5, it entails that the air purifier is capable of exchanging the entire air in the room 7 times in an hour.
4. Purpose of air purifier? Home, commercial usage?
Not all air purifiers are created equal. Some are designed only for commercial purpose while others are dedicated to clean only home air.
Even for home use, there are many air purifiers available in the market from different brands and with different price. The difference lies in the space where you’re going to install the air purifier at home.
For example, if you need an air purifier to clean the air of small to medium spaces like a bedroom, kitchen, or medium-sized living room, you need an air purifier featuring a medium coverage area of 300-500 sq. ft. and medium CADR of 200-300 m3/h around.
On the other hand, if you have larger space or you want to cover multiple rooms, you would need a comparatively high CADR above 300 m3/h and a high coverage area above 500 sq. ft.
Therefore, measure your room size first, and then start your search to choose the best air purifier in India for home.
5. Features to look for while buying an air purifier
Here are the 10 most important factors that you should know before buying so you can buy the best air purifier in India for your home.
5.1. Coverage area
As we discussed above, the coverage area depends upon your space. It’s usually measured in square feet. This is one of the most important factors on which air purifiers are rated.
Measure your room size, and target buying an air purifier having coverage area higher than your room size.
For example, if your room size is 350 sq feet, go for an air purifier that can cover up to the coverage area 450 sq. feet.
5.2. Replacement filter period
This is one other important factor while choosing the best air purifier in India for home. If you have to change filter very frequently, it costs you expensive.
An ideal filter should last long around 3-5 months. Else, the running cost of your air purifier would be high. But now, when people are using air purifier 24 X 7 in metro cities, the period may vary as per the usage.
Also, check if the pre-filter is washable or not. Some air purifiers like Dyson Pure Hot+Cool sends notification alerts to change the filters so you enjoy the only fresh air.
5.3. Power consumption
For your device to be cost-effective, you should know if it consumes less power. It should be energy-efficient.
Usually, the air purifiers consume the power from 20 watts to 60 watts per hour. The less is better!
5.4. Noise level
You should look for the best quiet air purifier. Noise level is measured in dB. The higher its rating is, the louder the air purifier would be!
So, aim for getting an air purifier between the range of 20-60 dB!
The quietest air purifier can have the dB rating of 15-40 dB at the low fan speed. Moderate levels can be rated at 40-60 dB. Any level above than 55 or 60 dB is loud and can damage your hearing.
Some air purifiers come equipped with ‘night mode‘, switching on which, fan speed becomes low and you can enjoy the noise-free night.
5.5. Air purification technologies
Different companies use different air purification technologies to trap different types of pollutants.
You just need to remember one thing that the technologies used should be complete ‘ozone free’.
Because many brands use the air cleaning method that emits ozone & other harmful gases.
The certification ensures the quality & standard of an air purifier. There are two standards in the industry to be taken seriously:
- AHAM (American)
Most air purifiers made in India don’t have these two standards.
5.7. Your budget and cost of an air purifier
The best air purifier in India to buy is one that doesn’t hurt your pocket much. Meaning to say it is rich in features along with being affordable.
Therefore, determine your budget. Usually, good air purifiers in India are available from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 55,000 depending upon the coverage area, filters used, and CADR.
The higher your space is, the more expensive your air purifier would be!
5.8. Cost of maintenance
You need to ensure, how many times the filter needs to be changed, whether you can change it for yourself or you need an engineer for it.
Also, the power consumption cost and its design(anti-fall design makes the device more durable) affects the cost of air purifier.
5.9. Other features
Other features you should look for in an air purifier include:
- Sensors & control type- to monitor the performance
- Display and indicators- to monitor air quality & updated info
- Mobile app- better user experience
- Modes- for example, night mode helps to reduce airflow speed for peaceful nights, auto humidity mode, auto purity mode
- Child lock system- if your child comes close to the device, it automatically locked
- Anti-fall design- doesn’t get damaged if it falls
- Adjustable fan speed, carrying handle, casters, programmable timer
If an air purifier has most of the above features, it is undoubtedly the best air purifier in India you should buy for your home.
5.10. Warranty and support
Different brands offer different types of warranties. Some provide on the filter, some on the device, and some on both.
Look for longer life and warranty of filters.
Reviews of Best Air Purifiers in India 2021 for Home Use (Best HEPA Air Purifiers)
#1. Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Air Purifier (Best Premium Pick)
Dyson is a UK based brand that manufactures some of the best air purifiers engineered to provide high-quality air purification.
This Dyson model ‘Dyson Pure Hot+Cool’ is their best air purifier equipped with all unique and advanced features. It is also the best air purifier in India that has all features. The one disadvantage is that it is expensive.
Let’s have a look at its features & specifications.
- Filters: 360 Vacuum Sealed glass HEPA, and Tris-impregnated activated carbon filter (3X more carbon)
- Pollutants removed: PM 2.5, PM 10, VOC, and NO2 that include airborne particles, gases, ultrafine particles as small as PM 0.1, allergens & pollutants
- CADR: This air purifier is also a fan. So, Dyson didn’t have ACH & CADR rating for this purifier. The maximum airflow of Dyson Pure Hot+Cool is around 55 gallons/sec.
- Coverage area: 600 sq feet
- Power consumption: 40 W
- Noise levels: 39-57dB
- Warranty: 2 years, parts and labour.
- Certification: Certified Asthma & Allergy Friendly by AAFA (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America)
- Colours: white/silver, blue
- Price: Dyson Pre Hot + Cool is available at Rs 55,900 in India.
- This Asthama & allergy certified purifier is the only air purifier that can heat and clean your room at the same time by automatically sensing the pollution.
- It comes with a quiet bladeless fan which is safe to use. The air purifier thus can work as a fan which is capable of cooling the room in the hot summers.
- Dyson Pure Hot+Cool purifies pollutants in real-time. It can detect all types contaminants and impurities such as PM 2.5, PM 10, VOCs, and NO2 and even PM0.1 by using Glass HEPA & activated carbon.
- In simple language, both filters (360-degree vacuum-sealed Hepa and activated carbon) take care of all kinds of impurities. The HEPA filter can trap 99.95% of microscopic allergens and pollutants as small as 0.1 microns.
- Has amazing Air Multiplier technology (only Dyson purifiers have) which efficiently delivers over 300 litres per second of pure airflow ensuring to circulate pure air in the entire room.
- It is equipped with Humidity and temperature sensor which constantly monitors the relative humidity and temperature in the room.
- The Air Quality Indicator is updated every 12 seconds. You also have the facility of a 24-hour AQI graph on the LED screen.
- You can change the oscillation angles up to 450, 900, and 3500 to make sure that no part of the room is left to receive pure air.
- Dyson Pure Hot+Cool functions smartly with Dyson link app which allows you Real-time Indoor and Outdoor Air Quality data remotely.
- There are 3 modes: Diffused Mode, Auto Mode, Night Mode (Wifi/ Bluetooth enabled). The Night mode gives you a peaceful sleep, the auto mode maintains the temperature and air quality.
- Built-in notification feature notifies you when there is a need to change the filters. Thus you receive only pure air.
- An only air purifier with heating functionality
- Unique air purification technology
- Can remove ultrafine particles as small as PM 0.1
- Big coverage area
- Advanced features
- Good rating
- Good brand and certification
- Constant complaints about receiving the faulty product
- Medium to large rooms
- With all the advanced technology such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled, it provides more than you need. This is absolutely a must-have home appliance which is perfect for every type of home and pollutant.
Note: Also check out:
It will cost you Rs. 10K less than Pure Hot+Cool, at Amazon India. It’s available in two colours, black and nickel. Features are almost the same.
The only difference is it doesn’t have the heater along with AC.
#2. Coway Professional Air Purifier (Most Recommended)
Coway air purifier is a good quality air purifier model from a renowned Korean brand Coway. It is the best air purifier in India ideal for home if you don’t have a big budget to give clean and pure air to your family.
- Filters: 3 filters namely Pre-filter, carbon activated filter, multilayer HEPA filter
- Pollutants removed: larger dust and heavy particles, PM 2.5, bad odour, virus
- CADR: 303 cubic m/hr
- Coverage Area: 355 sq. ft
- Noise level: 22- 49 dB
- Power consumption: 38 W
- Warranty: 5 years on air purifier motor and 1 year on electrical parts. Coway can be refunded within 10 days of delivery in case of dissatisfaction such as product defects, damage or features not matching the description provided. Call Coway Customer Care: 1800 102 6960 regarding any query.
- Price: Coway Sleek Pro AP-1009 Air Purifier is available in India under price INR 15,000.
- Its air purifying method is Green Anti-flu True HEPA Technology and 3D circulation airflow.
- It has 3 Stage Filtration system. Pre Filter that cleans larger dust and heavy particles. The second one is the Patented Urethane Carbon Filter which removes bad odour from the air. And the third one us multi-layer HEPA filter that traps PM 2.5 particles and ensures the inflow of only clean air.
- Coway purifier works on an auto mode which automatically controls and optimizes airflow using dust sensing technology. This technology optimizes flow as per the air quality in your room.
- Real-Time Air Quality Indicator: Clean, Low Pollution, Medium Pollution, High Pollution.
- Has LED display.
- The one-touch airspeed control and the mood lamp on/off setting are incredibly useful for control options.
- Its pre-filter is for life long. HEPA filter and carbon filter are having the life of 8500 hours. It has no recurring cost on Anti flu HEPA filter. You won’t have to pay for changing it.
- Control type: one-touch button
- Comes with Green Anti-flu True HEPA filter having the life of 8500 hours which is the longest life for a HEPA filter
- Super silent operation
- Excellent ratings
- Slimmest air purifier
- Good warranty
Coway air purifier is the best air purifier in India if you want a feature-rich machine in the budget. It is good for a medium- large bedroom, kitchen, drawing room and small offices.
To read the detailed review:
#3. Dyson Pure Cool Link Tower WiFi-Enabled Air Purifier, TP03 (White/Silver)
- Filters: Vacuum Sealed Filters (HEPA -13A, Activated Carbon)
- Pollutants removed: Ultrafine particles as small as PM 0.1 (0.1 microns) including dust, pollen, bacteria, mold spores, pet dander, bad odours, VOCs and other harmful gases
- Airflow: 1300 cubic meter/hour
- Coverage area: up to 450 sq feet
- Sound level: 42.3 dBA; the Sound level at Max Setting – 64.4 dBA
- Power consumption: 40 w
- Speed setting: 10
- Warranty: You will get 2 years warranty but this warranty is only applicable if you buy the appliance sold by seller “Dyson India”. On Amazon, it’s sold by Dyson India and also fulfilled by Amazon.
- Certification: Certified Asthma & Allergy Friendly by AAFA (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America)
- Price: You can get Dyson Pure Cool Link Tower around under rs. 30,000 in India
- Dyson purifier is married with highly intelligent purification technology which automatically removes 99.95% of impurities as small as PM 0.1 (0.1 microns) including dust, pollen, bacteria, mold spores, pet dander, bad odours, VOCs and other harmful gases.
- It’s air multiplier technology and a unique oscillation feature makes it perfectly suitable for larger spaces. Because it powerfully projects and circulates purified air throughout the room.
- Dual functionality with fan feature along with air purification makes it work as a fan also.
- Lower face velocity along with the high-efficiency VACUUM SEALED 360° Glass HEPA Filter ensures that harmful ultra-fine pollutants are trapped in filters and NOT released back into the room.
- It’s a fully smart machine and automatic too. With Dyson Link app, you can see real-time air quality reports remotely and directly from your smartphone. It also has a remote control.
- Control type: remote control, app Control, LCD Display
- Other features include easy scheduling, auto mode, night-time mode, sleep timer, easy installation.
- Dyson purifiers have low face velocity which makes their air purification method more unique and effective. Thanks to low face velocity, the ultrafine particles are forced into filters and thus stopped to release back into the room. While conventional purifiers in the market have a high face velocity that can result in ultrafine pollutants as small as PM 0.1 circulating back into the room.
- Bladeless fan
- Amazing technology
- Asthma friendly
- Good customer support
- A bit expensive
- For medium-sized rooms and places
- If you wish to have a purifier than can eliminate pollutants as small as PM 0.1, you should go for it without having second thoughts.
#4. Mi Air Purifier 3 (One of the Best-selling Air Purifiers in India)
Mi air purifier 3 is the best air purifier in India that you can get for the money. It is the successor of mi purifier 2 as which looks the same as its predecessor at first glance. But some sweet improvements have been made to make the latest version more effective.
- Filters: 3 filters including True HEPA
- Pollutants removed: dust and big particles, smoke, and any other particles that measure 0.3 microns in size, odour, formaldehyde and other toxic substances
- CADR: High CADR of 380 m3/h
- Coverage area: up to 484 sqft
- Noise level: 64 dB
- Power consumption: 38 watts
- Warranty: 1 year
- Certification: Certified by the Guangzhou Industrial Microbiology Testing Center
- Price: You can get Mi air purifier 3 at Rs.10,000 around in India.
- Larger places need a high CADR rating to purify more air per minute. It has a high CADR 380.
- Comes with true HEPA Filter which has a filtration efficiency of around 99.97% as per the company. As per our research also, users found this HEPA filter much more effective than used Mi purifier 2 (add link). The company claims to clean the impurities at the PM 2.5 level.
- The air purifier uses a three-layer filtration system which means that mi purifier 3 has 3 filters. One is the primary filter that catches dust and big particles. Next is a true HEPA filter that deals with dust, smoke, and any other particles that measure 0.3 microns in size. And the third one is an activated carbon filter that handles odour, formaldehyde and other toxic substances.
- The filter needs periodic replacement at 6 months or as depending upon the usage. You can get it changed and get it on Amazon (add link) at the price around INR 2,000.
- It has an OLED touch display that shows real-time stats like PM 2.5 concentration, humidity levels, temperature, Wi-Fi sign and different modes.
- Mi purifier 3 is a smart machine which runs through smart app control. It has Wi-Fi connectivity feature which allows you control the settings through the Mi Home app. You can download the app on your smartphone. This way You can change the settings and the modes from anywhere.
- You can also schedule and automate operations by the automation feature.
- This purifier also works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
- You can easily change the filter yourself.
- Technology: 360-degree filtration
- Good rating
- 3 layered advanced filtration system
- Automation feature
- Increased coverage area
- Real-time display of stats
- Mi purifier 3 with HEPA filter may not be the right choice for those who are concerned about cutting down the volume of sources of indoor air pollution such as VOCs, viruses, and bacteria. But it works well in removing particles such as dust, pollen, and animal dander
- It is quieter than Mi purifier 2 but still is a bit noisy.
- Medium and large-sized Indian room.
- If you keep certain things in mind to improve indoor air quality, it’s a good affordable option for you. These things include limiting pets to certain areas of the house, dusting frequently to reduce the volume of particles in the living area, and to free pollutants trapped in furniture, closet, rugs, and drapes that a HEPA air purifier might fail to reach.
Mi 2S vs Mi purifier 3 (comparison)
- Both look the same at first glance. But the new Mi purifier 3 has many things worth liking for in terms of the improvements over the Mi Air Purifier 2S.
- The older version has a lower CADR and less effective area.
- Both are 22 per cent less over the Air Purifier 3.
- And, instead of the EPA Class 12 filter in the older version, there is now a true HEPA Class 13 filter in purifier 3.
- The last generation has onboard Eddy Fan while new version comes equipped with a centrifugal fan. Lastly, the new air purifier is quieter by 2dBs at the highest speed.
To read the detailed review of mi 2S, go through this article:
#5. Honeywell Air Touch i8 42-Watt Air Purifier
Honey well i8 air purifier is a home appliance from a very reliable and reputed brand listed under Fortune 100 and ranked 77th in 2018. The company has a global market.
Let’s have a look at its features & specifications.
- Filters: Pre Filter, HEPA, HiSiv
- Pollutants removed: PM 2.5, dust, pet hair/dander, soil, microscopic allergens, toxic gases, VOCs, odour, formaldehyde
- CADR: 300 Cubic m/h
- Coverage Area: up to 387 sq. ft.
- Noise level: 38-63 dB
- Power Consumption: 42 W
- Warranty: 12 months
- Available colours: champagne gold, classic white
- Price: You can get Honeywell Air Touch i8 42-Watt at price around 15,000 on Amazon India.
- There is a PM 2.5 meter that measures the real-time pollution level inside your room.
- Its 3D airflow technology makes it capable of capturing the pollutants from even farthest corner of the room.
- Honeywell i8 can remove the pollutants with more than 99% efficiency thanks to pre-filter that removes dust, soil, pet hair and combined patented HiSiv and HEPA filter that removes microscopic allergens, PM2.5, pollens, harmful gases, VOCs, formaldehyde and odour.
- The technology of filters is completely Ozone Free.
- Also, its running cost is low as you don’t get the hassle of periodic replacement of the filters. Because filter has 3000 hours of life approximately. In the ambient pollution, the filter can easily last long for a year with 8 hours of daily usage.
- It has an auto mode that ensures the flow of only quality air by adjusting fan speed accordingly. This procedure also conserves energy.
- There is also a sleep mode to reduce sound so you may sleep peacefully.
- Anti Fall Design makes it more durable.
- Child lock system for protection for your child if she/he comes close to the appliance.
- Indicators: Air Quality Indicator in Tri-color LED, Real-time pollution indicator, filter replacement indicator
- Ozone free air purification technology
- Good brand
- Low sound levels with an aerodynamic fan design
- Low power consumption
- High filter life
#6. Phillips 3000 series (AC3256/20)
With no of the brand providing air solutions, one of the most prominent and reliable brands is Philips. Philips has been constantly coming out with the best air purifiers in the market with its series with constant and sweet upgrades.
Philips 3000 series is one of the latest air purifiers among others and certified by AHAM. Most of its features are similar to Philips 2887 (reviewed next on no. 7) in this article.
- Filters: Nano protect HEPA, activated carbon
- Pollutants removed: automatic capturing of airborne allergens and ultra-fine particles as small as 0.002 microns, even 800 times smaller than PM 2.5, pollen & house dust mites, bacteria & viruses
- CADR: 397 m3/hour
- Coverage area: 1027 sq. ft.
- Noise level: 63.8 dB
- Power consumption: 60 w
- Warranty: 2 years
- Certification: Philips 3000 series is certified & tested by AHAM, ECARF and AIRMID
- Price: You can get Philips 3000 series at 25,000 around at Amazon India.
- It removes 99.99% pollen and house dust mites with the help of HEPA & activated carbon filters. Filters are Ozone free, hence safe to use.
- The technology which this air purifier use to remove the impurities from the room is Vitashield Intelligent purification technology.
- This technology is effectively capable of automatically sensing the air quality and removing 99.97% airborne allergens and ultra-fine particles as small as 0.002 microns, even 800 times smaller than PM 2.5.
- The Philips claims that the purifier can purify a standard room (18 x 12 ft and height ceiling 8 ft) in just 8 minutes.
- Real-time display of PM 2.5 level impurities with AeraSense grade sensing technology.
- Various modes to boost the airflow and reduce various impurities, viruses and bacteria. These modes are sleep mode, allergens mode and virus and bacteria mode which is tested to remove H1N1 virus.
- The Sensor touch UI with a big numerical display is a very user-friendly feature.
- Smart light control
- Huge coverage area
- Impressive technology & various modes
- A few users found its display not clear.
- Not a very smart device with extraordinary features but still does the job perfectly.
- office, home, living room/master bedroom
#7. Philips 2000 series (AC2887/20)
Philips 2887/20 is another most popular air purifier from a renowned brand Philips. It is categorized under Philips air purifier 2000 series.
- Filters: HEPA, activated carbon
- Pollutants removed: ultrafine particles, bacteria, viruses, bad odour and other harmful gases as small as 0.02 microns, harmful gases such as formaldehyde and TVOC, odour
- CADR: up to 344 m3/h
- Coverage area: recommend usage in room size 258- 441 sq. ft. The ideal size of area less than 320 sq. ft. to maintain ACH rating above 4.
- Noise level: 20.5-51 dB(A)
- Power consumption: 11-60 Watts
- Warranty: 2 years Philips India warranty on the product
- Price: You can get Philips 2887/ 20 at Rs 15,000 around on Amazon India.
- Its CADR is higher than other purifiers from Philips 2000 series which makes it ideal for a home of polluted cities of India. In short, it is perfect for around 320 sq sized rooms and offices of industrial cities like Delhi and Bengaluru.
- Manufacturers have done a commendable job by installing VitaShield technology which naturally purifies ultrafine particles, bacteria, bad odour and other harmful gases as small as 0.02 microns. This technology helps to boost clean air delivery rate up to 344 m3/hr and removes 99.9% of bacteria.
- Designed with AeraSense Technology which provides Real-time display of trapping of PM 2.5 measurement sized microns. Area sense is a sensor to identify tiny particles.
- It’s a most unique feature is it has 3 smart pre-settings to let you choose from General, Allergen, and Bacteria & Virus modes.
- This air purifier also has smart features like smart light control which lets you adjust/dim/on/off the light to avoid disturbance.
- There is a ‘Bacteria & Virus mode’ which boost the airflow and traps the particles which are seldom detected by air sensors.
- There is one another mode called ‘The Allergen Mode’ that excels in detecting daily special events with help of Area sense sensor. The allergens which come out in the environment by daily events such as shaking pillow or a vacuum cleaner are reduced by this mode.
- Removes harmful gases such as formaldehyde and TVOC.
- Now coming to the lifetime of filter, it is entirely based on the indoor pollution level, airflow and operation time. The machine would give an alert when it is time to replace the filter. If the filter is not replaced promptly, you will not be able to use the appliance because it stops functioning to protect you from ineffective purification.
- The highlight of Philips 2000 series purifier is it comes equipped with 3 automatic purification settings: a General mode, an extra-sensitive Allergen mode, and an extra-powerful bacteria and virus mode
- Aerodynamic design that boosts efficient airflow
- Ozone (very harmful for your health) free filter
- You can also activate the automatic mode
- It makes no or very low noise. You can sleep with peace of mind
- It’s not ideal for 800 sq ft room though the manufacturer is claiming it. Get a Philips 3000 series air purifier(on no. 6 in this list) if your room is that big.
- Also, don’t purchase it to set it for multiple rooms. If you intend to clean air of multiple rooms, then you have to place multiple air purifiers.
Medium to large rooms, living room
Note: if you are looking for a Philips air purifier under INR 10,000, go for Philips 1000 series. You can read the review of in this article titled:
#8. TruSens Z-3000 Air Purifier
This is the air purifier which I want you must check out. It is the best air purifier in India for your home if you want a device at a mid-range price. TruSens Z-3000 is also one of the best-rated air purifiers in India.
This is from an air purifier brand TruSens introduced by Acco Brands Corporation especially for air purifiers. ACCO is a USA-based brand that manufactures different consumer home & business products.
The technology used is ‘Pure direct proprietary ‘ to clean the air from every corner of the room. And it features a true HEPA filter and a huge coverage area of 750 sq ft suitable for a large room, hall, multiple rooms, and offices.
- Filters: Pre-filter, Carbon Filter, True HEPA Filter, UV
- Pollutants removed: VOC gases, microscopic particles, allergens, germs and viruses, stops the circulation of live germs.
- CADR: Given that ACH of 2. It refers to air changes per hour. Here in the area of 750 sq ft, the air of room will change two times in one hour.
- Coverage area: 750 sq. ft.
- 2 years warranty
- TruSens Z-3000 Air purifier works on advanced 4 stage purification process.
- Its air purification technologies are 360-degree DuPont filtration.
- This air purifier has smart sensors to adjust the fan speed.
- It has an LED that shows the different details of air quality in the room. The displays are: when it’s blue, it means good performance. Similarly, the moderate is for yellow, and red for poor.
- There is a Dual Airflow system managed by Pure Direct Proprietary Technology. It is 24% more efficient in purifying the air of the room.
- True HEPA filter
- One of the best-rated HEPA air purifiers in India
- Detailed LED
- Huge coverage area
- Simple to use
- Dual airflow technology
- Smart sensors to adjust the fan speed automatically
Best air purifier in India under 25000 for larger spaces.
Note: There are two more good and affordable models of HEPA air purifiers (TruSens Z-2000 and TruSense Z-1000) from TruSens. They are more affordable and one of these two is also available under Rs. 10,000. To read the review of TruSens Z-1000, go through this article:
And also check out the similar one:
#9. Honeywell Air Touch HAC35M1101G
The features of this purifier are much like Honeywell i8 reviewed above. Let’s have a look at its features & specifications.
- Filters: Pre-filter, HEPA, HiSiv filter
- Pollutants removed: dust, pet hair, dander, soil, microscopic pollutants & allergens above 0.3 microns including PM 2.5, formaldehyde, toxic gases, VOCs, and odour
- CADR: 300 m3/h
- Coverage area: up to 450 sq. feet
- Noise level: 54 dB
- Power consumption: 52 watts
- Warranty: 18 months
- Certification: AQCMS’17 (consumer & industrial categories)
- Price: priced at 25,990. It will cost you under INR 20,000 (around 17,000-18,000 at Amazon India).
- It comes equipped with a multilayered air purification system uses 3 filters. First one is pre-filter that eliminates larger dust particles, soil, hair. The second one is a highly efficient HEPA filter that removes micro impurities and allergens and PM 2.5. The third one is HiSiv filter that cuts toxic gases, odours, VOCs, and formaldehyde.
- Technology: Honeywell HiSiv technology
- Honeywell Air Touch has 3D airflow design that pulls the air from corners and bottoms and releases the fresh air from the top.
- Also as Honeywell i8 mentioned above, the technology of filters is completely Ozone Free which means that the air touch purifier doesn’t emit harmful gases during the filtration process.
- Apart from this, it has washable pre-filter. You don’t get the hassle of seeking help from an engineer to change it.
- The filter has 3000 hours of a decent life.
- It is also designed with an auto mode, a Sleep Mode, Anti Fall Design, and child lock system.
- 100% ozone free
- Long filter life of 3000 hours
- Washable pre-filter that doesn’t require an engineer for filter replacement
- 3D airflow function to release fresh air from the top
- Additional built-in sleep mode for low noise
- No cons noted so far. Air touch air purifiers are award-winning purifiers and chosen as the best air purifiers in India.
- Large living rooms & bedrooms
#10. Kent Aura Room Air Purifier (Made in India)
Kent Aura Room Air Purifier 45-watt is the first air purifier from the popular Indian water purifier brand Kent. Let’s have a look at its features & specifications.
- Filters: HEPA, in-built ionizer, an activated carbon filter
- Pollutants removed: PM 2.5, bacteria, foul smell, formaldehyde, cigarette smoke, pet odour, smoke, oxides of Sulphide, Nitrogen
- CADR: 180 m3/h
- Coverage area: up to 290 sq feet
- Noise level: 60 dB
- Power consumption: 45 watts
- No of speed setting: 3
- Warranty: 1 year
- Certification: CE certification
- Price: KENT Aura is priced at 15,990. You can get it at rs. around 8,000-9,000 at Amazon India.
Note: For more air purifiers under 10,000, head over to this article:
- This purifier has been designed for small-medium spaces like bedrooms and medium living rooms.
- Kent has used the tested advanced HEPA air technology which removes almost all the pollutants of indoor population.
- It can remove 99.9% of harmful PM 2.5 pollutants, kills all the bacteria from the air. Inbuilt ionizer keeps air fresh and activated carbon filter removes bad odour, smoke, allergies, pet odour, formaldehyde, and other pollutants from the air.
- Smaller places don’t need a high CADR rating to purify air per minute. It has a high CADR rate of 180 m3/hr enough for cleaning air up to 270 square feet.
- It has an LED display that shows air quality in 3 colours. Blue is for excellent, pink is for good, and red is for the poor. So you can have a clear idea.
- There is also 3-level speed function and 8-hour timer function.
- Users found that it doesn’t make noise. It’s good for household use and small spaces in the workplace.
- Well-known brand
- An air purifier for the small area at a reasonable price
- 3 indicators in the LED display keep you updated about the air quality of your room
- Kent also added inbuilt ionizer to trap the pollutants and force them to stick to the walls of the room
- Not fit for larger rooms
- Use of ionizer that can emit a little amount of ozone
- Sensors may not work properly.
- Bedroom and medium-sized living room
Also, check out,
And when you’re checking out the latest HEPA air purifiers, you would come across the new Totaline Home Air Purifier with 4 Stage Filtration from the brand Carrier. The only disadvantage is it’s not made in India. So, please ignore this if you don’t want to purchase a Chinese product.
The key features are:
- Removes 99% pollutants 4 stage filtration process
- the first filter is Negative ions, 2nd one is HEPA filter, third removes formaldehyde removing and the 4th one is an antibacterial filter
- CADR is 330 m3/h & Coverage area up to 30 m2 or 320 Sq ft.
- Real PM2.5 display
- Auto mode
- Ultra mute feature for peaceful sleep
- 1-year manufacturer warranty
FAQ- Best Air Purifier in India
1. Why do I need an air purifier?
The simple answer is you need an air purifier to inhale healthy and fresh air that is free from harmful pollutants (both visible & invisible). There are impurities in the air of your home responsible for indoor air pollution.
The principal source of indoor pollution in India are the combustion products of biomass fuels that include health hazarding suspended particulate matter, carbon monoxide, polyaromatic hydrocarbons, poly organic matter, and formaldehyde.
Look at these figures below:
- Indoor air pollution is due to the 4 major factors: combustion, building materials, bioaerosols and the ground under the building. Besides these factors, there are major contaminants that not only spoil the indoor environments but also the person’s health is given below.
- In India, out of total population using fuel for cooking; 49% use firewood; 8.9% cow dung cake; 1.5% coal, lignite, or charcoal; 2.9% kerosene; 28.6% liquefied petroleum gas (LPG); 0.1% electricity; 0.4% biogas; and 0.5% any other means.
- The indoor air pollution has a potential effect on health result in about 2 million premature deaths per year, wherein 44% are due to pneumonia, 54% from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and 2% from lung cancer.
- The most affected groups are women and younger children, as they spend maximum time at home.
2. What are the tips to use/handle air purifiers?
Here are some tips to get the most out of your air purifier:
- Place it in the right location in the right direction especially if your room is large.
- Change the filters regularly. Though, some air purifiers have a built-in notification to alert you about the changing date of the filter. While some others don’t. So, take care of it. Else you will be breathing in dirty air.
- Operate it when you are indoors. Don’t keep it on when you leave the house. Else the filters would get out of order soon. However, if you live in a metro city, it’s recommended to run it for 24 hours.
- Close the doors and windows while using it.
3. Air purifier brands: which is the best brands in India?
There are many brands available in India. But, Philips, Dyson, and Havells are leading in the air purifier industry this time.
Dyson brand manufactures air purifiers with some advanced and cool features. While Havells is an Indian brand (I recommend and support this) known for making best HEPA air purifiers with advanced true HEPA filtration technologies at affordable prices.
Philips is also affordable and popular for using ozone-free technologies.
4. What is an air purifier good for? Do air purifiers work in India?
We have discussed above the usage of air purifiers. And, yes, air purifiers work in India.
India is the 2nd most polluted country in the world. And due to social structure, there are usually large and big families.
However, the nuclear family is becoming very common in India but still limited to metro and big cities only. There are still joint families in small cities and towns.
When a large no of people share a house, there is more cooking and other factors of indoor pollution arise.
5. Where should I place my air purifier?
You should place it at least 5-10 feet away from your bed. And the directions should be towards you.
Please remember it not to place too far from where you spend most of your time.
Place it where you need to clean the air most. If not comfortable, you can easily change the place as they are portable.
6. Are air purifiers a waste of money?
You are not unknown to the fact that how indoor pollution during modern times can harm your health. So, air purifiers are not a waste of money.
Many people don’t realize its need because they are unable to see the invisible pollutants around them.
An air purifier can work best for the person who is having breathing problems, asthma, and allergy symptoms.
7. How do I know I need to change the filters?
Some air purifiers like Dyson come with the built-in notification that reminds you of replacing the filters.
The other ones without this feature show the expiry period of filters so you manually check and replace the filters.
8. How do I know if I need an air purifier?
- If you are allergic to the dust
- having asthma or COPD
- suffering from other allergy symptoms like itchy eyes, or headaches
- bad smell
- living in a metro city of India
- residing in an industrial area
- construction is going on nearby
- living in a place where dust mites are everywhere
9. How do I know if my air purifier is working?
You can check it seeing the indicators and display. If it’s working, it will show the nos. and notifications.
Another way is checking the airflow which happens due to its fan. When an air purifier works, it pulls air from the room to remove dust and other pollutants.
10. Do I need an air purifier for each room?
No, you don’t. Buy the air purifier for the place of your home where you need to clean the air or where you spend most of your time.
If you have a big house or a big family or more than one family, you should go for another purifier.
11. How often should I run my HEPA air purifier?
You can run it 24 x 7 for better performance. However, it may damage the filters soon. But it’s recommended if you or your spouse are living indoors 24 x 7.
12. Can an air purifier make you sick?
Yes, the air purifiers using the filters that emit ozone or other harmful gases can make you very sick.
So ensure all the air purification technologies and filters the brand is using.
Else it can worsen your health.
13. Do air purifiers make the air dry?
No. They don’t.
14. How and when to clean air purifier?
Yes, it’s a good idea. You can clean outside, inside, and clean their filters. Use a soft brush.
15. Can an air purifier remove COVID-19?
The straight answer is No. The reason is coronavirus doesn’t transmit through the air, rather it’s a droplet spread virus. While an air purifier can remove and trap the particles and viruses which are airborne.
But. experts are still recommending you should use a HEPA air purifier as a tool to protect yourself & your family at home during corona time.
Because a good quality HEPA air purifier at home can help you maintain your indoor air quality. It is a piece of technology equipment that will clean home air by removing dust and other viruses and safeguard your health.
Types of Pollutants/ Impurities in the Air (in Detail)
According to the reports, scientific studies, and the figures given by the WHO, pollutants released indoors are 10 % more likely to harm our health than those released outdoors.
It happens because the air inside your house enables potential airborne particles and pollutants.
An Airborne particle is a particulate matter (PM) that contains dust, pet dander, pollen, spores, allergens, fungi, bacteria, and viruses.
All of these PM objects (both visible & invisible) are accountable for creating severe health conditions such as allergies, asthma, and other breathing problems.
Some people who are allergic to these pollutants notice the symptoms immediately on coming to their proximity, while some other people notice the effects after remaining exposed to them for a longer time.
Therefore, you first need to be aware of the type of impurities that are currently polluting your air, before purchasing an air purifier.
As we discussed above, there are different types of visible (large particles like dust) and non-visible pollutants (PM 2.5 LEVEL) that prevent you from taking fresh air.
And depending upon their types, different purifiers are designed using different air purification technologies.
So, the first thing you should care while buying an air purifier is to identify the type of pollutants.
are airborne particles that are present in every household. They include pet dander, dust mite, plant spores, mold, fungi, and pollen.
Allergens are the most common source of allergy and asthma.
Smokes of tobacco and weed are the traditional source of indoor pollution. These indoor pollutants arise when someone creates smoke.
It degrades air quality, makes us sick, and even causes cancer.
Smoke can be very irritating to kids and women in the house and all other people who don’t smoke.
Odours inside the house include toxins, the smell of cooking gases and other harmful gases, and pollutants like pesticides, chemical cleaners, and aerosols.
Strong odours may cause a burning sensation and irritation to the eye, nose, throat or lung.
Some people feel the immediate effect. They feel sneezing, coughing or other breathing issues.
Odours are very common to be found in a house, so it’s not easy to remove them.
An activated carbon filter is used in air purifiers to absorb such gases & odours, and reduce their qualities from the atmosphere.
4. The VOCs
VOCs stands for Volatile Organic Compounds. They are the chemicals that have a high vapour pressure even at normal room temperature.
The VOCs can harm your health by irritating your eyes, nose, or your skin. The short term effects are common headaches, nausea, and throat infections.
While the long term effects include severe chronic health conditions. It can worsen your asthma and the worst effect it can give is damaging the nervous system.
The names of these organic chemical compounds are formaldehyde, benzene, ethylene, and a few others.
In households, they are present in paints, varnishes, new carpets, glues, adhesive products, cleaners, and building supplies.
5. The micro-organisms
The pollutants in this category are very dangerous and hazardous to our health. They can harm you even if you are not allergic to them.
The most common damages they can bring are disrupting your respiratory system.
If a person is regularly in contact with them, he/she is going to get affected either immediately or in the longer run.
The names of this category impurities include antigens, pathogens, protozoa, mold, fungi, bacteria, and viruses.
These contaminants are the most common germs that are also found in microscopic plant bodies causing a risk to health.
What makes them more dangerous is their invisibility. You are not able to see them as the dust particles. But they are present in the atmosphere to create disturbances and irritations.
If you want to get rid of viruses, you should buy an air purifier with a HEPA filter that can remove the viruses.
Types of filters (in Detail)
As you know there are different types of impurities. When pollutants exist in different kinds, there would be different technologies to eliminate them.
For that matter, different filters are designed for different purposes. There are mainly 5 types of filter in trend which are used in air purifiers to target different pollutants.
Therefore, it’s important to know the functions of these filters.
Pre-filters usually come attached with other filters in an air purifier. They are designed to trap larger particles of dust, hair, and other pollutants.
The pre-filters are usually washable and don’t need an engineer to get changed.
2. HEPA Filter (High-Efficiency Particulate absorbing Air)
HEPA stands for high-efficiency particulate air. During your research on buying an air purifier, you will find that most air purifiers are using HEPA filters.
Yes, because, HEPA filtration process is the highest level of the purification process. That’s why the HEPA filters are the most expensive in the market.
The US HEPA standard was originally invented by the Atomic Energy Commission to capture the radioactive dust particles.
A True HEPA Filter used in modern air purifiers can remove more than 99.97% of all the microscopic particles. It targets the harmful pollutants of all sizes like PM 2.5, PM 10 or even as small as 0.3 microns.
A true HEPA filter is capable of trapping both visible and invisible particles.
- allergens like pollens, pet dander
- mold spores,
- dust particles,
- tobacco smoke.
- HEPA filters are top certified filters
- Capture pollutants of very small size
- Perfect for different respiratory issues
- Most Expensive filter
- regular maintenance is needed.
- Incapable of eliminating odours and fumes.
Generally, an air purifier uses a combo of HEPA and activated carbon filter or a combination of 2 or 3 filters to remove all kinds of pollutants from the air and provide the best purification system.
Not every Hepa is worth buying for
It’s a very important thing to notice that not every filter labelled as ‘HEPA’ is a HEPA filter. While buying an air purifier for home, you should check which filter that air purifier is using.
Is it original HEPA or just a copy of HEPA?
Because there are several filters in the market carrying the name HEPA but they don’t provide quality work.
You need to look for the label or certification saying ‘True HEPA Filter’.
Beware of the terms that are currently being used in the market:
like “HEPA-type” or “HEPA-like”, you should be aware that the air purifiers using such filters can’t provide quality.
3. Carbon filter
Activated carbon filter can’t trap particles, hence it doesn’t protect you from allergies, asthma or any other irritations caused by PM2.5 or PM10 pollutants.
But activated carbon filters use a very specific technology that can neutralise smoke and absorb all the bad odours, smells, and fumes effectively.
This is the reason they are not used alone to purify the air. Usually, they are accompanied by other filters like HEPA.
Pollutants removed – (change chronology)
- chemical and gas fumes,
- smells originating from pets,
- the smell of paint and
- the smell from cleaning products
- keeps a room free from odours
- A must-have appliance for people residing in industrial areas
Can’t remove particles, only useful for absorbing smells and gases
4. Ionic filter
This is a completely different type of filtration technology, unlike HEPA or carbon filter.
Rather it works on the technology where the filter emits the breeze (filled ions) in the air, the ions get attached to the pollutants and force the impurities to cling to the nearby surface.
That’s why the wall where you put the air purifier gets dirty.
But the big advantage is this technology can eliminate ultra-fine particles sized as small as 0.01 microns.
Pollutants Removed – (change chronology)
- mold spores,
- volatile organic compounds,
- different bacteria’s and viruses,
- also visible smoke.
- Dirty surface (you need a collection plate to remove impurities)
- not capable of eliminating odours
- Produce a small amount of ozone as the by-product which is not good for health
5. Ultra Violet or UV Light Filter
UV light filter is generally used in hospitals to make the environment sterile. They can also be used in kitchens.
The air purifiers equipped with UV filters are also good for people who often get sick.
Completely removes all sort of micro-organisms as bacteria, viruses, germs.
- Long-lasting & no hassle of replacements
- cuts down the number of germs inside your room
- Kills only the viruses, bacteria and germs.
- Like carbon filter, it mostly comes as an attachment with a HEPA air purifier
6. Ozone filter
The ozone filters purifiers air but emits the Ozone which is not good for health. Sadly, some brands manufacture ozone purification interaction.
So you need to stay away from them. They aren’t safe to use and may aggravate your asthma condition.
And if you consume regularly, it is sufficient to damage your lungs.
Final Words: Best Air Purifier in India for Home
We’re living in the dangerous time of corona. Therefore, we should try every possible thing that we can do to protect our health.
Indeed, an air purifier or air cleaner can’t save us from the COVID-19, but still, if doctors are recommending to take extra care of hygiene, we should heed their advice. At least, it won’t cause any harm.
And don’t worry, there are good affordable air purifiers, you can buy according to your needs. Once again, I mention the top 3 best air purifiers in India 2021 that fit all budget and types.
Summarizing the whole article:
I hope I helped you find the best air purifier in India for your home! Happy buying 🙂
Some articles and equipment to help you to maintain your health and fitness:
- Best Affordable Air Purifiers in India under 10,000
- Best Treadmills in India for Home Use
- Benefits of Home Gym: Why You Should Invest in Home Gym
- Best Gym Cycles for Home in India
- How to Boost Your Immune System (Food & Lifestyle Changes)
- Best Water Purifier in India for Home (Top 10 RO Water Purifiers)
- Kent RO Grand Plus Review & Its Competitors
If you liked the article, share it with someone you care and help them motivate to breathe in healthy air! Also, join me on Quora for physical and mental fitness related stuff!