Last updated on September 19th, 2022
We all know that eating seasonal fruits and vegetables is good for our health. And nowadays mango fruit, also known as the king of fruits, is in the season. But in Indian households, this fruit is eaten as dessert mainly after large meals.
And there are many more confusions about eating the mango. For example:
- What is the right way to eat mango fruit?
- Then, what is the best time to eat it?
- Does it make you fat?
- And, is it harmful to diabetic people?
- How many recipes can be prepared from mangoes?
- Is there any side effect of mangoes?
If you want to get the answers, keep reading the article below.
Mango Benefits for Health
- Because it’s low in calories, you can eat add it to your weight loss strategy.
- It’s rich in antioxidants which means it can protect you from developing several diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
- If you don’t know about antioxidants, they are molecules that fight free radicals in your body. Now, free radicals are compounds that are formed in your body due to high smoking, pollution, and others reasons (that’s why regular detoxification is recommended). If they become high in levels, your body becomes prone to diseases. Thus, eating mango benefits your body to fight diseases.
- Mangoes can improve your digestive health.
- According to Ayurveda, it aids in balancing all three doshas, Vata, pitta, and Kapha. A mango can act as energy food if eaten in the right way.
- May also improve your eye health.
- Also contributes to growth and repair.
Properties and nutrients of mango fruit
1. Mango nutrition value
Mangoes are rich in nutrients, minerals, and fibres. Vitamin C is found at 67% of the daily value in one cup of fresh mango. Other vitamins that include are Vitamin A, E, K and B6.
2. How many calories are there in mango?
60 calories in one mango that becomes around 100 grams.
3. And the Glycemic index (GI) of a mango fruit?
If you don’t know about GI, it’s a type of system where a value is assigned to the foods to measure their capacity to increase blood sugar levels.
Means, the lower is better! A food that ranks under 55 is regarded as a low glycemic food which is better for diabetic people.
The GI of mango is 51.
Is mango good for weight loss?
Indians add mango to their diet as a dessert, like after lunch or dinner. This is the wrong way to eat fruit which can cause weight gain instead of supporting your weight loss journey.
Also, if you eat them in excess due to their taste, it may harm your health in addition to making you fat.
The best time to eat mangoes?
It should be eaten as a snack between 11 a.m to 4 p.m in the day time.
And the best way to eat the mango fruit is to enjoy it as a snack.
Is mango good for diabetes?
The sugar in mangoes is natural sugar, which can increase your blood sugar levels. But look at the ‘nutrition section’, mangoes are also enriched in fibre and antioxidants.
The presence of these nutrients reduces the overall sugar effect too.
Apart from it, mango is also a low glycemic food (as you saw above).
To balance the impact you should eat it in small portion sizes. also, don’t eat it as the first food in the morning or after dinner at the night.
Side-effects of mango fruit & how to counter them
Eating it in excess, or at the wrong time can result in heating in the body, preponing women’s periods, upset stomach, bloating, constipation, a spike in blood sugar, high blood pressure, and itchy skin.
Ayurveda also suggests eating it with spices for better digestion. It’s also a saying that cinnamon is good to counter the side effects of mango.
Mango Recipes (the healthy ones)
There are mainly 4-5 healthy mango recipes which are very common and easy to make.
1. Mango Fruit Shakes
It’s fulfilling and healthy but can contribute to weight gain. You should take it without sugar or little sugar. Replace sugar with jaggery powder or Dhaga Mishri Powder.
I take it without sugar because the natural sweetness of mango satisfies my tongue.
You can try doing different types of healthy dressing (nuts, saffron, mango slices). It tastes super yummy.
2. Mango Icecream
These are frozen mangoes with a little amount of Mishri in them. You can say that it’s a frozen form of a well-prepared milk mango shake.
It is also very yummy.
4. Sweet Mango Chutney
The recipe for mango chutney is very easy. Prepared from raw mangoes, you can eat them with your meal or your favourite dishes to enhance the taste.
4. Mango Fruit Shrikhand
- 11 HIgh-Protein Breakfast Recipes for Indians & Vegetarians
- 14 Healthy Morning & Evening Snack Options
- Healthy Pasta Salad for Rainy Season (Vegan)
- Philips Air Fryer Review For Healthy Cooking (+ Comparison)
If you found this post helpful, please share someone you care about!!
You can also follow me on Instagram!!
View this post on Instagram
DISCLAIMER: All the information above is a work of our research based on expert advice, scientific studies, and my personal experience. The content in this article is meant for spreading awareness and is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. It’s always better to seek the advice of your medical professional or another qualified health care provider with any question you may have regarding any health advice.