Last updated on September 25th, 2023
Being courageous is indeed one of the best qualities which are good for our mental health and always admired and appreciated. But very few of us have this virtue. The good news is we all can develop this quality with some practice. If you’re wondering why and how to be courageous, this post is for you.
What It Means to Be Courageous
They say being courageous and fearless doesn’t mean you are not afraid, but it simply means that you can conquer your fears. The same fear which haunts you plays with your mind and ruins your mental health.
Someone has said, that when you fail to differentiate between your fear and reality, your fear becomes your reality.
Yes, you just have to make yourself ready to face your fears. Once it becomes your habit, you’re called fearless, courageous, and strong.
Benefits of Becoming Fearless
- When you’re fearless, nobody can temper your decisions. You become self-reliant.
- You improve your mental health. Because when you are ready to face situations, you’re also ready to face your fears.
- Your productivity increases as your mind stops playing with you.
- You perform well at your workplace because there is no fear affecting your work.
- Adversities don’t shatter you the way that you ruin your life.
- Fearlessness doesn’t let you fall into bad habits like smoking and drinking.
- You inspire people and make good friends.
Me am trying to Be Courageous, Strong, and Fearless
Yes, I don’t dare to continue my life any further!
Everything that I built has shattered down, I have walked on every possible path to sort it out but it seems like there is no path left for me. I just have been left with the only path which is a disappointment. Utter disappointment! No matter how hard I try I can never get out of this mess.
I was lamenting over my situation, fragile and agitated. My sister entered the room, got me ready, and took me for a walk. I happened to meet the disabled who was struggling with his basic needs.
He would be the happiest person on earth if he could get even one blessing I was already having. Stunned and shocked, I could speak nothing other than how blessed I was.
Yes, I don’t have the courage to fight this heart disease!
It has weakened my body so much that I can’t even run fast at this early age. I can’t eat delicious food. I always struggled with playing with my friends during my childhood. Now it has been diagnosed at the age when i have to dedicate my time to career. I am so scared how it would be like to have open heart surgery. I am attuning myself to this life pattern. Several other diseases are also there in line with this problem. Already my life was not less miserable, this has worsened it much. Thoughts of seeing myself on the operation bed, haunting me. Why am I alive to live this shitty life??….can’t even say it to put my frustration out. Danger to my life is already there in a great proportion.
My thoughts had turned my mind into a dustbin once when I had to prepare myself for major surgery. Amidst this fear, I logged into YouTube and saw a soldier’s family proud of their son’s sacrifice.
Imagining his courage in fighting in the freezing cold and scorching heat of the border, my death fear blew in the air for a while. It wasn’t like I hadn’t felt the soldier’s sacrifice before.
It was like I needed something to make me prepare to face my fears. Calm and composed to a great extent, I was somehow ready to face the situation.
Yes, I don’t have the courage to bear this pain of separating!
It’s peeling the walls of my heart with its brutal knives. Love can stab me this way, I could not imagine this. It’s feeling like its cruel hands are ready to squeeze my neck to stop my breath. How beautifully this love has murdered my emotions. Tears even froze in my heart and gave their part to increase the burden of my heart. It feels like I would never get out of this. And what to say more, the truth is however hard I may try to say my pain, it can’t be expressed in words. No one can ever ever understand this! And what if someone may understand this, it wouldn’t lessen my pain.
My heart was soaked in pain and surrounded by the horrific illusions. Lying on the bed, I opened my window. The aunties were talking about a girl who got married recently.
Her husband had beaten her to death just because her father had not fulfilled their demands of dowry after marriage. Her life along with her self-esteem ran into dust.
All she needed was the support and motivation which could not be expected from this society at all, a society of fake concerned people. I always used to read stories about violence against women but never had a chance to feel it so closely.
The person whom she loved so much had assaulted her so brutally. How a girl is taught in our society to love her husband unconditionally whom she met just a few days before marriage?
How she can recognise the devil residing inside him? At that moment, I could no longer ignore the blessing I had which was: “moving on”.
How to Be Courageous and Strong
Here are 30 ideas for how to be courageous, feel happiness, and improve your mental health.
- Say sorry when you are wrong.
- Admit your mistakes, show courage and learn from them.
- Learn to ignore.
- Don’t say yes when you want to say no.
- Take a holiday to enjoy yourself.
- Enjoy little things. Like blow bubbles, dance in the rain.
- Go to the outdoors alone just to enjoy yourself.
- Ask for help like joining a support group, hiring a coach, etc.
- Choose to be happy.
- Leave tension for a while and let things go as they are.
- Say, thank you.
- Let go of jealousy. It’s a bold step which will set you free.
- Find new things to do that will make you happy like swimming, cycling, joining a gym, etc.
- Learn new skills.
- Try to do the thing you are afraid of.
- Make new friends.
- Love again, this time love yourself more
- Shop different kinds of outfits, Try and go outside.
- Do something unexpected e.g. give your share to someone like in Allow someone to go in front of you in traffic or at the grocery store.
- Help someone going out of the way.
- Donate your time to the needy ones.
- Go the extra mile and donate a little share of your savings to the orphanage.
- Listen to someone who is emotionally wrecked.
- Take responsibility for some good cause. Like, you can promise yourself to visit orphanages once a month to support them mentally or monetarily.
- Praise someone else.
- Make someone happy by telling how good they are looking today.
- Don’t take things seriously even when you are criticized. Show your courage.
- Show gratitude to life for how blessed you are. Count your tiny blessings.
- Try believing in yourself once more. Your courage will show you the path.
- Take a break, be yourself, don’t worry what they are thinking, just enjoy feel free!
More similar articles,
- Self Acceptance: 11 Ways To Accept Your Reality The Way It Is
- Lost your peace of mind? Figure out why you are not happy!
- 40 Positive Things To Say To Yourself Daily
- 7 Best Yoga Poses For Mental Health
- 30 Quick Stress Buster Activities
If you liked the article, share it with someone you care about!