Last updated on July 23rd, 2022
Did you recently order an elliptical cross trainer for home? And now wondering how to start exercising on the elliptical? With this in mind, I’ve listed the 3 best elliptical workouts for beginners to guide you through the whole process.
It is to help you keep safe while providing you with a detailed insight on how everything should be. But before we dive in, let’s go over some of the prerequisite information.
Elliptical Workouts for Beginners
It’s never too late to start working out. Maintaining a fit body helps you with not only physical traits but also with keeping your mental health in check (source).
If you’re just starting with exercise or are planning on resuming after a considerably long time, you should avoid doing too much, too fast.
Going too hard will leave you uncomfortable and sore. It can put your body in danger of damage or injury. It is usually better to ease into exercising. As your body needs time to build stamina and strength.
When compared to jogging or walking on the treadmill, the elliptical trainer provides a low-impact exercise. It keeps it gentle on the knees and hips.
Cross trainer is, however, weight-bearing which is necessary for the development of strong bones, muscles, and connective tissues. If your machine also has arm grips, you can burn a bit more calories than normal.
Beginners can benefit from the elliptical trainer since it allows them to ease into aerobic activity.
If you’re suffering from jjointpain, the elliptical is best to burn extra calories.
Also, if you have an overweight problem due to which your body puts a lot of stress on your joints, elliptical workouts are the best beginner cardio activity for losing weight.
Because the elliptical cross trainer helps you exercise your heart and lower body while putting very little stress on your joints.
Articles to aid your weight loss efforts:
3 Best Elliptical Workouts For Beginners
1. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
One of the major drawbacks of steady cardio is how long it takes to complete. It’s impossible to get in 30-40 minutes of elliptical after every workout if you’re on a tight schedule.
Not to mention, steady-state exercises become monotonous after a while!
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) fixes this by saving you a ton of time. The majority of exercises are 20 minutes or less, but not simple.
It is a difficult workout that is unquestionably more exciting than traditional cardio!
On an elliptical, an effective HIIT exercise consists of:
- 45 seconds of high-intensity,
- inclined work followed by 90 seconds of lower-intensity,
- lower-incline activity with no rests in between
Therefore, your workout:
- Warmup for 2 minutes with 3% incline and low effort
- High intensity for 45 seconds with 10% incline
- Low intensity for 90 seconds with 5% incline
(Repeat all 5x)
- The cooldown for 2 minutes with 3a % incline and low effort
The workout will last approximately 15 minutes, but you will be drenched in sweat the entire time.
It is excellent for both novices and expert users since you can choose your level of difficulty. This workout provides just the perfect amount of stress.
If you can’t complete all five sets you can cut the overall amount in half, but you should attempt to complete three at the very least.
2. The Game of Incline
Playing around with varying inclines is one technique to make the elliptical extra fun. It’s a fun but difficult workout.
The principles are simple. You need to increase the inclination by 2% every two minutes, then decrease to the beginning amount.
- 0-2 minutes at a 6% inclination
- 2-4 minutes at an 8% inclination
- 4-6 minutes at a 10% inclination
- 6-8 minutes at an 8% inclination
- 8-10 minutes at a 6% inclination
- 10-12 minutes at an 8% inclination
- 12-14 minutes at a 10% inclination
(Repeat everything 1x)
You can fiddle around with the intensity level to see what fits better for you. However, don’t fall below level eight or nine. The goal is to keep things interesting and see them as a challenge.
You can choose a higher intensity when the inclination is lower, and vice versa. Alternately, you should do two tougher sets followed by a gentle one.
3. Reverse Rotation
The elliptical can be used in reverse, i.e, you can turn the legs in the opposite direction. This not only makes the workout more enjoyable but also provides additional stimulation by challenging the muscles in a new and unique way.
Pedalling backwards targets your glutes and hamstrings more. On the other hand, pedalling forwards emphasizes your quadriceps.
You can utilize this in any sort of exercise by going back and forth between forwarding and backward rotations throughout the sets. For example, in a HIIT exercise, you can choose to go back to every third set.
You can simply choose an inclination and rotate the other way every two minutes to get a complete back and front exercise. This small change can make your elliptical workout both more enjoyable and difficult.
- Stationary Bike Workout to Do at Home
- Top Fitness Items for Cardio & Strength Training
- How to avoid an exercise Injury
Benefits of Working Out On Elliptical Trainers
Here are some of the benefits of elliptical workouts.
- As I said above, elliptical workouts provide a lower-impact aerobic exercise than jumping or hitting the pavement.
- Also, it’s suitable for people of all fitness levels, including beginners and those returning to exercise after an injury.
- The elliptical is a total-body workout that can burn a lot of calories if you’re trying to lose weight.
- It aids in the improvement of stability and movement.
- For busy days, it provides short exercises.
- Moreover, it’s fantastic for the lower body since it works different muscles than running or bicycling.
- Can be utilized for high-intensity circuit training with ease.
- When utilizing the elliptical with light weights, you can also include upper body exercises.
- This exercise also helps to increase your immunity.
Precautions Before Starting Elliptical Workouts
Minimal cardio exercise is frequently advocated for lowering health hazards and maintaining physical fitness. However, each circumstance is unique.
- You should consult with your doctor or instructor if:
- If you have any diseases, injuries, or medical problems,
- or if you’re undergoing treatment that might influence your heart rate or exercise.
- When you initially start using an elliptical trainer, you’ll most certainly feel it in your lower body, particularly your quads (the muscles in the front of your thighs).
3. It’s natural to have a burning sensation while performing the sets. You might have to begin with a shorter workout period, perhaps 10 minutes or so.
- You can then gradually increase the length of your workouts as your tolerance improves.
These 3 best elliptical workouts for beginners can help you make a difference in your workout schedule. It helps in engaging your core muscles, along with all of the lower body muscles.
Elliptical trainers make workouts more fun and challenging at the same time!
Just create a workout playlist and jam on while keeping yourself fit!
Planning to buy an elliptical cross trainer to lose weight? Read these articles:
- Welcare Elliptical Cross Trainer WC6044 Review India
- Aerofit Elliptical Cross Trainer Reviews, Price List & Comparison
- Cockatoo CE03Advance Smart Series Elliptical Cross Trainer Review
- Sole SE95E Elliptical Cross Trainer Review & Comparison
- Afton FX-100 Elliptical Trainer Review India
- Xterra Fs 4.0e Review India & Comparison
- Elliptical Machine Vs Stationary Bike
Setting you home gym? You might need these fitness gears:
DISCLAIMER: All suggested tips and suggestions are based on expert advice, research and my personal experience. The content in this article is meant for spreading awareness and not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. It’s always better to seek the advice of your physician, fitness trainer or another qualified health care provider with any question you may have regarding health and fitness advice.